Sunday, November 13, 2016

Volcano highlights

Kamehameha butterfly, oil on canvas, 6"x6" ($80 USD)

Impressions of Kilauea Iki, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, oil on canvas, 5"x7" ($100 USD)

The specialness of living a mile from one of the most beautiful national parks in the world is not lost on me. I live in a native forest so there are wonderful native creatures about. This Kamehameha butterfly, one of only two native Hawaiian butterflies, was flitting around my neighborhood so I painted it. And the bottom one, is my impression along the Kilauea Iki Trail, my favorite trail in the park. There is always that section of the trail that suggests there might be an even better view up ahead. This painting is a bit more painterly but I like the lightness about it and I'm glad I didn't ruin the painting by rendering it in detail. 

No comments: