Thursday, July 12, 2007

My prized posession: EDM #119 - Rock (6th Fact)

Fact #6: My most prized posession is a rock.

I guess that sounds kind of weird, doesn't it? Well, if you knew me, it really isn't so weird. I picked up this rock while walking along the shores of Milos (blogged below). Philip James Bailey best described what this rock means to me when he said, "Art is man's nature. Nature is God's art."

Note: This is my 100th post! Yay! I think this calls for a celebration!

Ok, I realize I better describe why this rock is very special to me or you'll all think I'm crazy if you don't already. This rock is inherently beautiful. It may be just a rock ... but if you took the time to really look at it, you'd notice it has a mix of greens, blues, yellows, pinks, whites, and browns. It is somewhat crystalline in parts and it seems like you could look right through it if you looked hard enough. This rock reminds me to not judge so easily. By stopping and really looking, I can see the beauty in the simplest of things. This applies to rocks and everything else.

I found this rock on my most favorite Greek Island. It is not a gorgeous island like Thera (Santorini), Mykonos, or Crete. It is where most people speak only Greek; usually only get Greek visitors; when it's summer, the whole island is brown dotted with white-washed homes; and where an Asian woman is a bit of a curiosity to residents. It is for me a little reminder of a dream fulfilled and a hope to return.

Perhaps it's the way I was raised but I believe the value of nature, the stuff I call "God-made," far outweigh the monetary value of things "man-made." Oh don't get me wrong, I do love a Starbucks coffee every now and then and on certain mornings, I would pay a zillion bucks for a cup! But in general, that's how I see the world. Ever have something you look at and it makes you smile? Well, this rock makes me smile.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! The first comment! I hope we can go to Greece together someday Jo, it is in my top 3 places I'd like to visit. Beautiful drawing as always...

Joan Y said...

Yay Shannon! Yes, a family outing sounds like fun! Milos first? I can order us beers and find our way to the theater (but that's about it) LOL.

K said...

Hi Joan,
Well, your post made me smile, too! I think it's great that a rock can have such meaning, and more so than man made things we have to buy!
Lovely painting, too!

juj said...

This is a most beautiful and thoughtful post, and the sentiment is something I really needed to be reminded of right now. Thank you Joan - you and your wonderful rock both made me smile.

mrana said...

Joan, I love the drawing of your rock and the reasons why it's so special to you. Yes, you made me smile too ... and reminded me that sometimes we forget to appreciate the wonderful things right under our noses.

mrana said...

I forgot to say: HAPPY 100th POST! Looking forward to you next 100 :)

Joan Y said...

Thanks Kathleen, Juj, and Mariana!

Kathleen - I have a treasure box that my brother made and it's filled with a variety of found items or just things that remind me of people and places. Maybe I'll draw that for my next fact! :)

Juj - Thanks, sometimes a rock has more impact than even a mountain! :)

Mariana! Wish you all could come over and have some homemade lychee wine with me to celebrate my 100th!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE yer rock!!

Anonymous said...

Joan,
I think that your rock is exquisite! Such volume and surface coloration/texture. This is really an example of when a rock isn't just a rock!

ElizT said...

I have a very nice ventifact, given to me by my sister, and it is always where I can admire it.

Tracy said...

i don't think you're crazy at all for treauring this rock. the drawing/painting is lovely btw. textures and colors - i can imagine that rock. the meaning behind the surface - ah now that perhaps is even more beautiful.
i love reading your posts (yeah 100) and seeing your artwork. thanks so much for sharing it and yourself.

Judybec said...

Congrats on your 100th!!! and what a beeeeautiful rock. I also enjoyed your latest post and all your special treasures. nice drawings and words.

Barbara said...

That's an amazing rock! - Barbara

Joan Y said...

Thanks everyone!!!

Anonymous said...

Wicked job! I love the shade line at the bottom of the rock and the lovely kiss of pink at the left. Cheers! Mary Ellen

Mim said...

The rock story is great and so is the rock drawing

Joan Y said...

Thank you so much for your comments Mary Ellen and Mim! There are times when a rock isn't just a rock. :)

Anonymous said...

My first impression when I saw this rock after reading your post to the group was how beautiful it was. I'd never seen a rock like that. It is beautiful! Great work on it, too.